When we moved into this house (about 3 months ago) I loved that it had a fireplace but I knew that I wanted to update it. I’m pretty sure it had the original builder tiles (12×12 floor tiles cut to fit). They were a boring shade of beige and the install was just not well done. It just looked dated to me. I knew I wanted to change it to marble and after looking at a few samples I decided to go with a classic rectangular tile for the surround.
Here are some before photos of the fireplace.
After the old tile and drywall was removed, it was discovered that the builder had not built the fireplace out far enough (they just used a thick amount of cement to adhere the old tiles and fill the depth) so a layer of plywood had to be added to bring the depth forward. Then a new layer of drywall was added and then the tiles could go on!
This is a photo taken after the old tiles and drywall were removed. You can see how far the fireplace insert sticks out past the wood frame.
This is with the new additional plywood added.
Then the new drywall was added and the tiles went up… it just needs grout!
And finally here is the after!
Im so so happy with the end result, it looks much more updated and matches our style much better. And it looks so pretty decorated for Christmas!